Looking for Home Delivery?
Principal Engineer - Packaging - KS
Salina, KansasApply Now Quick Apply
Who we are!
Schwan’s Company, a U.S. affiliate of the global lifestyle company CJ CheilJedang Corporation, is a leading U.S. manufacturer and marketer of quality foods offered through retail-grocery and food-service channels. Its many popular brands include Red Baron®, Tony’s®, Big Daddy’s®, Villa Prima™ and Freschetta® pizza; Mrs. Smith’s® and Edwards® desserts; and Pagoda® Asian-style snacks. To learn more about Schwan’s, visit www.schwanscompany.com.
What we are looking for:
Here at Schwan’s Company, we put a high priority on having safe, clean, and healthy workspaces. And we want individuals that take that seriously.
We are hiring a Principle Engineer – Packaging. This position is responsible for technical and functional leadership on Food manufacturing strategic capital projects. Specifically, process / packaging systems implementation with prior experience on packaging equipment platform development. OEM vendor management experience essential. This role serves as a key subject matter expert and resource to Manufacturing and business leadership. The engineer leads the development of fully executable projects, provides project management services, and acts as technical resource from the conceptual phase though execution. This role will drive innovation, align internal & external teams in supporting the Businesses annual capital plan.
What we need from you:
- Manage and lead technical design & implementation on corporate strategic projects.
- Provides technical expertise to support the manufacturing operations. Serve as functional lead/expert on corporate Engineering team in the management of major cross-functional corporate capital projects.
- Hands on leadership, design, and execution of equipment (packaging) automation technology strategies from concept to commercialization. Understands the relationship between raw materials, packaging materials/ and packaging equipment systems.
- Works closely with packaging R&D teams to ensure optimal equipment performance and implement solutions that provide design flexibility and performance. Select OEM, develop contract deliverables, install and validate packaging equipment.
- Provides project management services for assigned engineering projects to deliver cost performance, throughput, quality, and reliability.
- Develop overall systems design scope including line specification, project budgets, schedules, and prepares project justification and develops capital requests, including cash-flow forecast.
- Coordinates external engineering services and partners with internal team as needed for successful project completion.
- Identifies and manages the capital and related expenses, optimum layout, equipment selection and timeline.
- Manages communications and project governance within GSC key stakeholders.
- Fulfills requirements for the:
- Design phase (e.g. Risk analysis, design Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA), Sanitary design, Safety analysis)
- Implementation phase (e.g. Factory Acceptance Test (FAT), Site Acceptance Test (SAT))
- Start-up (e.g. Commissioning, Qualification and Verification (CQV) planning, Vertical Start-up (VSU) assessments) and successful handover to the plant
- Stays current with industry technologies and processes to provide best available technology solutions.
- Understands and incorporates standards for environmental, human and food safety systems (EHS) as they apply to manufacturing sites.
- Partners with internal/external resources to assess opportunities for application of innovative designs, performance improvements, technical advantages, speed to market and capital efficiencies ensuring optimum business value is achieved during capital project activity.
- Collaborates with R&D and business teams on packaging trials and new product development concepts.
- Coaches and mentors Engineers, and other members of the technical community in Schwan’s to build technical capability and leadership behaviors consistent with our stated goal.
- Responsible to conduct yourself in a manner consistent with company mission, values, code of ethics, policies, and other standards of conduct.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Chemical, Packaging, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering (ABET accredited program preferred).
Years of Related Experience: 14+ years, history of successful project management leadership on multi-unit operation projects ranging from $5MM to $50MM+ capital spend.
- Demonstrates project management leadership, problem-solving, decision making, troubleshooting, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with and influence diverse groups at various levels and across functions.
- Strong ability to involve operators and mechanics in the project process.
- Ability to train maintenance and production personnel as well as plan and execute work with maintenance and vendors.
- Knowledge of Lean Six-Sigma concepts is preferred.
- Ability to effectively use a CAD System as well as full understanding of drawing/drifting practices, utilize engineering standards of design, construction and installation.
- Must have advanced knowledge of processing, packaging & facility systems along with working knowledge of food manufacturing, engineering, quality, and research functions.
- Demonstrates compliance with USDA, FDA, OSHA, EPA, City and/or State agencies, etc. for both manufacturing processes and building requirements.
Travel: Ability to travel 0 to 50% as required (dependent on location).
The employing subsidiaries of The Schwan Food Company are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, age, race, color, religion, gender, vet status, national origin or other protected class.
Job Type: Exempt Business Unit: SFC Global Supply Chain, Inc. Req #: 20003445
- Big Daddy's
- Mrs. Smith's
- Red Baron