Intern Quality Engineer
Salina, KansasApply Now Quick Apply
About the company: At Schwan’s Company, we are a fast-paced, innovative team, focused on bringing delicious foods to our customers. If you’re passionate about food and creating a successful future, this is the place for you. Based in Minnesota, Schwan’s is a national, multibillion-dollar company that manufactures and markets quality foods through retail-grocery and food-service channels. Its many popular brands include Red Baron®, Tony's® and Freschetta® pizza, Mrs. Smith's® and Edwards® desserts, and Pagoda® Asian style snacks. To learn more about Schwan's, visit www.SchwansCompany.com.
- 12-week long internship program (Typically May-August with the exception of Co-Ops being Jan - Jun or Jun - Dec) Opportunity to work on and take responsibility for exciting, strategic projects that are relevant to your coursework with real-world applications
- Exposure to upper level management, executives and the CEO
- Opportunities for career growth with a well-established food company. Internships at Schwan’s often lead to full-time job opportunities upon graduation
- A culture focused on ensuring the health, safety and well-being of its employees
- Support and mentorship from team members who are authentic, good-natured and highly skilled
- Competitive wages, incentive pay and a comprehensive package of benefits (if hired on full-time)
The Position: Engineer Interns work hands-on within the Plant Engineering and Environmental Health & Safety areas to help identify process improvements, cost savings and work on cross-functional teams throughout the company.
- Work with Maintenance, Production, Safety, Corporate Engineering, and R&D to identify and implement major cost savings projects involving new processes, new technology, and/or new ingredient.
- Assists with development of machinery and systems specifications and provides ongoing support for revisions and updates
- Assists with development, documentation, and presentation of conceptual layouts, feasibility studies, budgetary estimates, etc.
- Conducts studies of processes on existing lines: make recommendations based upon opportunities to increase productivity, reduce cost, and improve quality
- Identifies basic process improvement and cost reduction projects by providing facility audits and analysis of existing production lines and processes
- Assists with capital projects within established schedules and budgets; including equipment selection, line layout engineering, integration and controls, project scope and documentation, purchase order origination, invoice tracking, startup support, ergonomic designs, etc.
- Develops, estimates and presents preliminary capital proposals including return on investment, benefits and alternatives.
What are the expectations are of you:
- Highly motivated self-starter who displays initiative and takes ownership of work
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and assignments
- General understanding of industrial process and control systems
- Ability to navigate through ambiguity & overcome obstacles
- Effective communication and problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information
- Candidates should be currently be enrolled in an undergraduate Industrial or Mechanical Engineering or related degree program with an anticipated graduation date of December 2020 or May 2021.
- GPA of 3.0+ preferred.
Job Type: Non-exempt Business Unit: SFC Global Supply Chain, Inc. Req #: 19011691
- Holiday Foods
- Big Daddy's
- Mrs. Smith's
- Red Baron