Food Safety and Quality Manager
Salina, KansasApply Now Quick Apply
Come be part of one of the biggest manufacturing expansion projects underway in the United States! In addition to our flagship plant we are building a manufacturing facility unlike any other in our industry. This mega facility will increase our production campus to nearly one million square feet in Salina, KS.
Who we are!
Schwan’s Company, a U.S. affiliate of the global lifestyle company CJ CheilJedang Corporation, is a leading U.S. manufacturer and marketer of quality foods offered through retail-grocery and food-service channels. Its many popular brands include Red Baron®, Tony’s®, Big Daddy’s®, Villa Prima™ and Freschetta® pizza; Mrs. Smith’s® and Edwards® desserts; and Pagoda® Asian-style snacks. To learn more about Schwan’s, visit www.schwanscompany.com.
What we are looking for:
We are hiring a Food Safety & Quality Manager for our manufacturing facilities in the Salina, KS area. If you consider yourself someone who is: Responsible for planning and scheduling all modification to existing equipment and facilities and preventive maintenance in assigned areas.
What you will get from us:
- Opportunity to work in a growing segment of a major food manufacturer and showcase your leadership and technical skills to make a big impact on the profitable growth of Schwan’s Company.
- Opportunities for career growth with a well-established food company.
- A culture focused on ensuring the health, safety and well-being of its employees.
- Support and mentorship from team members who are authentic, good-natured and highly skilled.
- Competitive wages, incentive pay and a comprehensive package of benefits.
Plant Food Safety & Quality Executional Responsibilities:
- Directs activities necessary for the cleaning and sanitizing of production, packaging, dry storage areas, and production equipment in accordance with USDA (US Dept of Ag), SSOP (Standard Sanitation Operating Procedures), HACCP (Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Points), Preventive Controls (FSMA compliance), FDA (Food & Drug Administration), and overall good manufacturing practices.
- Serves as Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) coordinator and Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) for the facility. Also serves at the on-site recall coordinator.
- Assures execution of daily product cuttings, specification approval, and SPC program execution.
- Serves as key contact with regulatory agency personnel (FSIS FDA Military State).
- Leads resolution and remediation utilizing plant and corporate resources of regulatory issues and requests. Leads resolution and remediation utilizing plant and corporate resources of customer food safety and product quality issues and requests.
- Maintains strong working relationship with appropriate personnel in each Schwan Business Unit and provides support and maintains involvement with follow-up regarding quality and/or food safety issues noted by customers.
- Responsible for the Food Safety of all products and processes (i.e. Hold management program Corrective Action program facility audits) and maintains identity preserved products.
- Responsible for specification compliance on ingredients, packaging, and finished goods.
- Responsible for maintenance of FSQ Documentation SharePoint site for facility, Coordinates annual employee training programs for Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's), HACCP, and other food safety/quality issues as necessary. Coordinates preparation for and corrective follow-up actions for third party facility/program inspections.
- Directs trains and develops subordinates.
Continuous Improvement Project Work:
- Develops and implements food safety regulatory and quality strategic plan for site in concert with corporate strategic plan.
- Identify areas of need to drive greatest improvement in food safety quality and product consistency for the facility providing positive impact to plant driven metrics.
- Able to utilize and critically evaluate data from a variety of sources to identify root cause and lead teams towards resolution.
- Partner with key stakeholders to maintain active work on prioritized list of projects focused on improving product quality consistency food safety & regulatory compliance with regular updates on progress.
- Effectively leads projects to completion in timely manner with demonstrated results.
- Understand internal and external food safety & quality processes and report to facility leadership on quality issues trends and opportunities with the purpose of driving continuous improvement.
- Apply continuous improvement tools (SPC Lean Six Sigma etc) in problem solving data analysis and implementation of process improvements to drive product consistency and reduce product defects (consumer complaints, foreign material, amount of held product, etc.)
- Design and implement methods for process control, improvement testing, and inspection. Plan and conduct the analysis, inspection, design, test, and/or integration of processes to assure the quality of ingredients packaging work in progress (WIP) or finished product.
- Actively lead and support continuous improvement activities and projects to deliver improved product consistency and increase efficiency to impact the broader company and the FSQ team.
What we need from you:
- The desire to make a meaningful difference. Must be self-motivated with the ability to work independently. We need someone who competes to win!
- Authentic leader: direct communicator, able to build strong relationships across the company, with all levels.
- Must have great collaboration skills, with the ability to effectively work closely with cross-functional teams.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Microbiology Chemistry Food Science or equivalent. Masters degree preferred.
Years of Related Experience: 5 + years related experience. Quality Engineering with Six Sigma Green Belt experience preferred.
- Strong technical skills in area of focus (microbiology and/or chemistry) with ability to interpret general technical and scientific results and perform analytical tests
- Sound mathematical and basic food science understanding
- Strong understanding of food safety HACCP and basic food regulatory requirements
- Working knowledge of basic quality control and quality assurance programs and concepts
- Good knowledge of statistics and interpretation of experimental data
- Basic understanding of the manufacturing environment and production operation
- Basic knowledge of Statistical Process Control (SPC) applications
- Strong analytic and project management skills
- Strong computer skills and ability to learn technical software. Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of programs with strong Excel skills
- Proven people management and delegation skills
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with demonstrated influence management skills
- Strong technical and business writing skills
- Strong presentation and leadership skills
- Strong technical and business writing skills *Comfortable in small group and large group settings
- Detail- oriented take initiative and ability to work with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to develop positive relationships and work cross functionally
The employing subsidiaries of Schwan’s Company are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, age, race, color, religion, gender, vet status, national origin or other protected class.
Job Type: Exempt Business Unit: Req #: 22002200
Get to know our growing global brands
- Big Daddy's
- Mrs. Smith's
- Red Baron