Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minnesota; La Palma, California; Marshall, MinnesotaApply Now Quick Apply
Schwan’s Company, a U.S. affiliate of the global lifestyle company, CJ CheilJedang Corporation, is a leading U.S. manufacturer and marketer of quality foods offered through retail-grocery and food-service channels. Our many popular brands include Red Baron®, Tony’s®, Big Daddy’s®, Villa Prima™ and Freschetta® pizza; Mrs. Smith’s® and Edwards® desserts; and Pagoda® and Bibigo Asian-style snacks. Schwan’s is a place for people with an appetite for more. To learn about joining a team where you can belong, contribute, and thrive, visit www.schwanscompany.com
We are hiring a Purchasing Manager to be based at the corporate offices in either Bloomington or Marshall MN or La Palma, CA. This position is responsible for the direction, development, coordination, and implementation of all sourcing activities to support overall business needs. You will report into the commodity group and will be responsible for large portions of spend. Examples include cheese, flour, soybean oil and proteins.
What you will get from us:
- Opportunities for career growth with a GROWING food company.
- A culture focused on ensuring the health, safety and well-being of its employees
- Support from team members who are authentic, good-natured, and highly skilled
- Competitive compensation including a flexible time off program, incentive pay and a “dress for your day” office environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identifies potential suppliers, organizes, negotiates costs, terms and conditions, and manages assigned product categories within multiple business units for assigned products
- Possess a high degree of understanding of assigned product categories, alternative vendors and their offerings
- Monitors cost trends for key commodities impacting assigned product categories
- Hedges the price of key commodities on exchanges such as the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) or over the counter
- Develops sourcing strategy for assigned product categories
- Evaluates supplier capabilities and capacities within assigned product categories
- Negotiates supplier agreements/contracts using corporate contract guidelines
- Manages vendor relationships, contracts and promotional agreements
- Maintains organized records of commodities, agreements, vendors and their performance
- Oversees and participates with other departments regarding technical product specification changes, identifies product optimizing opportunities (cost savings)
- Maintains a close working relationship with all departments and business units, including manufacturing, sales, marketing, purchasing, R&D, FSQ, and Logistics
- Prepares and presents reports to upper management as required
- Manages, trains and develops team members, if applicable
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Years of Related Experience: 7-10 years related sourcing experience in the food industry
- Good PC skills including Microsoft Excel, Word, SAP and Power Point to prepare reports and presentation for upper management.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills, intermediate proficiency with numeric data analysis.
- Thorough knowledge of company and group products, policies, processes, etc.
- The ability to manage multiple assignments, meet deadlines, achieve objectives, manage confidential information and work cooperatively in groups.
- Proactive mindset. Must be self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- High attention to detail and accuracy
The employing subsidiaries of Schwan’s Company are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, age, race, color, religion, gender, vet status, national origin or other protected class.
Job Type: Full-time Business Unit: Req #: 23-2781
SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS
Join our Talent Network and get Schwan's news and job alerts delivered to your inbox.
Get to know our growing global brands
- Big Daddy's
- Mrs. Smith's
- Red Baron