Principal Automation and Controls Engineer
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MinnesotaApply Now Quick Apply
Who we are!
Schwan’s Company, a U.S. affiliate of the global lifestyle company, CJ CheilJedang Corporation, is a leading U.S. manufacturer and marketer of quality foods offered through retail-grocery and food-service channels. Our many popular brands include Red Baron®, Tony’s®, Big Daddy’s®, Villa Prima™ and Freschetta® pizza; Mrs. Smith’s® and Edwards® desserts; and Pagoda® and Bibigo Asian-style snacks. Schwan’s is a place for people with an appetite for more. To learn about joining a team where you can belong, contribute, and thrive, visit www.schwanscompany.com
What we are looking for:
Be part of one of the biggest manufacturing expansion projects underway in the United States! Schwan’s engineering team is seeking a Principal Automation & Controls Engineer who will be based in Minneapolis, MN (corporate offices in Bloomington). This is a once in a career opportunity to lead every day in driving business magnitude and impact: We are building highly automated manufacturing facilities unlike any other in our industry.
From day 1, you'll be a key member of the engineering team delivering new product and process innovations. You are the glue that help build the digital landscape for all production equipment and help drive Industry 4.0 emerging technologies, digital manufacturing, and future automation trends. This role interfaces frequently with Global Supply Chain leadership. Collaborating with A&E Partner, equipment vendors, and Operations management team to deliver exceptional performance metrics. Up to 50% travel required.
- Lead as expert, implementation of industry leading automation and control projects.
- Develops and implements medium to long-term controls, network architecture, and plant floor strategies to drive efficiency, plant floor productivity, and innovation.
- Supports the team with development and execution of project scope, costs, and schedule (from concept through vertical start-up).
- Drives technical solutions by evaluating and recommending Industry 4.0 technologies as well as reduce/eliminate issues associated with equipment, performance, quality, and safety.
- Supports the development of the long-range capital plan and manage obsolescence across Global Supply Chain.
- Collaborate with project teams, and internal/external technical resources to assess opportunities for application of innovative designs, performance improvements, technical advantages, speed to market and capital efficiencies ensuring optimum business value is achieved during capital project activity.
- Coaches and mentors Automation Engineers to build technical capability and leadership behaviors consistent with our stated goal.
Years of Experience: 10+ years’ experience in Manufacturing and Packaging Technologies. 8+ years of engineering experience with a focus on electrical and control systems is required. Experience with manufacturing food and beverage or consumer packaged goods companies is preferred. Experience in plant operations and industrial environments. Project engineering including scope definition, cost estimation and tracking.
Education: Bachelor of Science or Master’s degree in Engineering required (Electrical preferred, Mechanical, Chemical), or equivalent experience. ABET accredited program is a strong preference.
- Demonstrates project management leadership, problem-solving, decision making, troubleshooting, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with a team and influence diverse groups at various levels and across functions.
- Ability to teach the fundamentals of electrical automation and control systems.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the primary codes and safety
- requirements applicable to controls safety systems, robotics, and power distribution equipment and systems.
- Knowledge of Lean Six-Sigma concepts and ability to use a CAD System is preferred.
- Strong ability to utilize application, programming, and integration experience through a variety of hardware/software. Ability to troubleshoot PLCs at the code level and trouble shoot equipment and wiring.
- Strong understanding of low and medium voltage power distribution and associated equipment is preferred.
- Must have advanced knowledge of processing, packaging & facility systems along with thorough understanding of food manufacturing, engineering, quality, sanitary design, and research functions.
- Demonstrates compliance with USDA, FDA, OSHA, EPA, City and/or State agencies, etc. for both manufacturing processes and building requirements.
- Travel: Ability to travel up to 50% as required (dependent on location).
The employing subsidiaries of Schwan’s Company are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, age, race, color, religion, gender, vet status, national origin or other protected class.
Job Type: Full-time Business Unit: Req #: 23-1854
SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS
Join our Talent Network and get Schwan's news and job alerts delivered to your inbox.
Get to know our growing global brands
- Big Daddy's
- Mrs. Smith's
- Red Baron