Senior Safety Manager – Frontline, Central Region
Chicago, Illinois; Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minnesota; Memphis, Tennessee; Indianapolis, Indiana; St Louis, Missouri; Cincinnati, Ohio; Nashville, TennesseeApply Now
At Schwan’s Company, food is our passion. We are one of the U.S.’s leading food companies, making and marketing products for retail grocery and food service under brands consumers love: Red Baron®, Tony’s®, Big Daddy’s®, Villa Prima™ and Freschetta® pizza; Minh® Eggrolls, Pagoda® Asian-style snacks, and Bibigo Dumplings; Mrs. Smith’s® and Edwards® desserts. We are an affiliate of the global lifestyle company CJ CheilJedang, one of the world’s leading innovators with a portfolio of businesses that extend into food, entertainment, logistics, biotech, and nutrition sciences.
Working at Schwan’s means the opportunity to have real impact. We look to you to contribute to our strategy, build relationships, execute business priorities, and take pride in your work because at Schwan’s, you lead the way, and we value what you bring.
We are hiring a Senior Safety Manager within our Direct Store Delivery (DSD) organization. You will play a critical role and be a key partner to our Central Region leadership Team. This role is responsible for ensuring a safe working environment for our field-based employees by developing, implementing, and monitoring safety programs. In addition to working directly with drivers and frontline employees, this position works closely with internal partners to ensure company compliance with local, state, federal, DOT and OSHA rules and regulations.
- Develops, implements and monitors preventative safety programs and compliance training for DOT and OSHA-related compliance. Develops and provides direction for Safety Committees.
- Provides leaders with guidance related to safety practices, policies, and procedures. Facilitates discussions about concerns and recommends proactive measures; influences decision-makers.
- Performs accident investigations and conducts safety audits to ensure compliance with company & governmental regulations, ensures understanding and enforcement of safety rules. Maintains accident records and supporting documentation.
- Partners with appropriate parties to address situations requiring corrective action and ensures follow through.
- Participates in region leadership meetings; serves as the voice of Safety in meetings.
- Maintains all safety reports, logs and other documentation to ensure compliance with federal, state and local agencies.
- Facilitates government safety inspections for designated location(s) and responds in a timely manner to inquiries/inspections.
- Ensures the provisions of safety systems and personal protective equipment required to control the risk in the workplace.
- Drives continuous improvement in all areas of responsibility.
- Ability to travel 50% of time within central region of the US to work directly with field-based employees and ability to respond to critical incidents outside of standard working hours.
Minimum of 8+ years of experience in an Employee Health and Safety role
Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years’ experience in an Employee Health and Safety leadership role within a field based Direct Store Delivery (DSD) business model or within a larger Sales Distribution/Operations
- Proven experience developing and implementing safety programs with demonstrated results
- Previous leadership experience in Safety and/or Risk Management
- Working knowledge of Federal and State regulations with respect to DOT / FMCSA , OSHA, Worker’s Compensation, and other applicable Acts. Experience with managed care, return-to-work and claims management preferred.
- Excellent project management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to conduct training sessions and give presentations to small and/or large groups of people
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to establish trust and relate effectively with all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; proficient in MS Office
The employing subsidiaries of Schwan's Company are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, age, race, color, religion, gender, vet status, national origin, or other protected class.
Job Type: Full-time Business Unit: Req #: 24-1683
SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS
Join our Talent Network and get Schwan's news and job alerts delivered to your inbox.
Get to know our growing global brands
- Big Daddy's
- Mrs. Smith's
- Red Baron