Sr Corporate Attorney - Labor & Employment
Bloomington, MinnesotaApply Now
At Schwan’s Company, we are a fast-paced, innovative team, focused on bringing delicious foods to our customers. If you’re passionate about food and creating a successful future, this is the place for you. Based in Minnesota, Schwan’s is a national, multibillion-dollar company that manufactures and markets quality foods through home-delivery, retail-grocery and food-service channels. Its many popular brands includeRed Baron®, Tony's® and Freschetta® pizza, Mrs. Smith's® and Edwards® desserts, Pagoda® Asian-style snacks and Schwan's® home delivery. To learn more about Schwan's, visit www.SchwansCompany.com.
We are hiring a Senior Corporate Attorney for our legal team in Bloomington, MN. In this role, you will provide advice and counsel to Schwan’s Company Human Resource teams and business units in the field of labor and employment laws and regulations. You will also defend the company against litigation as well as claims filed with state and federal agencies, and supervise and direct the work of outside counsel in various legal proceedings. This position will serve as a key member of the Legal and Human Resource teams to help identify and manage legal risks, and provide training and counsel for risk avoidance to the company.
What you will get from us:
- Opportunity to play a strategic role as we integrate into a global organization
- An environment that is flexible, with reasonable hours and a high amount of autonomy
- Diverse work supporting a company that has an employee base made of manufacturing, distribution, drivers and corporate team members
- Opportunities for career growth with a well-established food company.
- A culture focused on ensuring the health, safety and well-being of its employees
- Support and mentorship from team members who are authentic, good-natured and highly skilled
- Competitive wages, incentive pay and a comprehensive package of benefits
- Advise HR and business teams on a full range of employment and labor law issues such as hiring, discipline, workplace investigations, discrimination/harassment claims, FMLA and other protected leaves, FSLA and other wage and hour issues, background checks, drug testing, labor relations, unemployment, termination, compensation and benefits
- Draft employment agreements, separation agreements and other similar documents
- Review and provide guidance on drafting and development of HR policies and procedures; ensure compliance by proactively administering training, policies, procedures and practices
- Research and analyze complex legal issues and render opinions
- Defend, supervise and manage employment related claims and litigation, including managing outside counsel, responding to administrative charges, complaints, attorney’s letters, settlement demands and claims
- Supervise and direct the work of corporate attorneys and/or paralegals as needed
- Provide other legal support as needed such as reviewing and drafting commercial contracts
Education: Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school with excellent academic record
License: Admitted to practice law in Minnesota or ability to be admitted to the Minnesota State Bar within 6 months
Years of Experience: 5-8 years of substantive experience in a reputable law firm, in-house law department or both in handling employment and labor matters
- In-depth knowledge of federal and state labor and employment laws and regulations; experience with manufacturing a plus
- Excellent negotiation, leadership, organizational, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to develop legally compliant, business-oriented and cost-efficient solutions
- Ability to efficiently and effectively partner with business unit clients and legal team members
The employing subsidiaries of Schwan’s Company are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, age, race, color, religion, gender, vet status, national origin or other protected class.
Job Type: Exempt Business Unit: Schwan's Shared Services, LLC Req #: 19004848